Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eclipse

My wife has attended 2 of the 3 Midnight Showings of Star Wars the least I could do is go see Eclipse with her. Now that sounds like something I could say and get away with the fact that I have actually read all 4 Twilight books, but the truth is my wife asked me to read them I said I would and in between my text books over the past two years I've read all 4 books. I've enjoyed the story. I get that girls are wanting to be sought after it all makes sense to me. But I also know that with all this hype no man will ever match up to the man each girl so desires whether this be Team Edward or Team Jacob.
Now the vampire and werewolf stuff aside there is actually a pretty good love story of choice which is the right person for me and even a lesson on some good old traditional values about abstinence. Yeah finally a movie that encourages Abstinence but don't get me wrong there is a lot of kissing before Edward puts the breaks on his physically inclined lady friend. To be perfectly honest my wife and I had a discussion that consisted of whether or not we would allow our teen to watch Eclipse and the truth is it depends. First on who they are as a person. I can see the fantasizing that young boys have for some model can be a detriment to their future relationships the same way that a girl can fantasize about the emotional connection with a man. Both although different can have a significant effect on how we look at our relationships. Now don't miss out what I'm saying. It was a good movie but I think if I had a teen I would watch this film with them. Then after all the hype I would ask them questions. Like why do you think Edward has values about sex after marriage? Now some parents would shy from this but I see this as a great moment to open some discussion. Most shows on tv are worse any ways.
There also seemed to be a lot of violence now I am usually comfortable with violence but there were more than one decapitations. What ever that's worth to you. Overall I really enjoyed this film. I still enjoyed New Moon a little more due to the directors choices, but it was still very enjoyable. Side Note, My favorite book was Eclipse which I don't know why it wasn't my favorite film but it was still worth seeing it with all the fans. You have to enjoy a movie when the audience is in to it too. They laugh louder and even clap at times that really are fun and exciting. So far my reviews have been given a lot of praises this summer but I am easily pleased 4.5 out of 5.

If I ever approach a movie that may be questionable in its content I go to http://www.pluggedin.com/movies.aspx which does an excellent job at letting me know why it got the rating it received.

No comments: