Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Catch Phrase

"EXCUUUSE ME, I'll be Back, I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse, and Show me the money!" What makes a catch phrase? So many movies create these iconic lines that seem to stick with us. I recently have even seen Youth Groups have their own phrases or even thier own games that they all are fimiliar with. It's as if they each have their own finger print.

What originally spawned this thought was the excitement that came from repeating a certain phrase. As students were entering the youth room I was given the responsibility to let them know where the food was. Well we had chicken this evening and I began telling everyone there's "Chicken in the Gym." It then started to turn into a mini rap that didn't have much accept the repeating line, "Chicken in the Gym, Chicken in the Gym, watcha gonna do to that Chicken in the Gym?" Followed by the reponse (from the students), "Eat it?!" I began to ponder that a few summers ago a very similar event occured when myself and some students were eating corn. Some how we began a song that involved, "Butter on the Corn!"

Now I don't know if catch phrases can be forced but they seem to offer memories of events of our Life. For me I think of moments that involve everything from Toilet Paper Ninjas to Poke-A-Pine give so much great memories of my youth groups years as well as humorous catch phrases that no one knows except for a select few.
If you have some stories of catch phrases share your stories and thoughts.

No comments: