Monday, March 7, 2011

What is Love? Baby don't hurt me....no more.


I have a fondness for SNL's skit with Will Ferrel and Chris Kattan. Dancing around trying to find someone who will dance with them too. During my freshman year my buddy Eric and I performed our own rendition and took 2nd place in our High School talent show. Sometimes I find my self wandering our church and that song is playing in my head, if you see a little head bob you can be sure of it. But I like that question What is Love? Is it tangible, is it demonstrated, do you feel it, do you know it? Recently I've come to terms that my son does not know how much my wife and I love him. We would literally do anything for this kid. I'm also starting to think anyone in our church's nursery would do anything for him as well as they constantly tell me stories about how fun he is to watch and play with. Even the other girls in the toddler room recently were chasing him around trying to kiss him, he of course is like his father (In Jr. High).

But I've always equated love with this campy teen movie I saw with my mom as a kid. Where a boy who's always been in love with this girl, during a robbery, jumps in front of a bullet to save her life. He ends up dying, but don't worry he comes back from the dead, as a zombie. (Yeah I know weird movie). But is that all love is. I have to be ready for those I love to be shot at and jump in front of a bullet for them. Scripture say's "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 Jn 3:16 So laying it down is the key part. I wonder why God couldn't have allowed Jesus to die an old man perhaps pass away in his sleep but he's tortured, beaten to a bloody pulp. Is this to make me feel bad? A reminder that every time I sin I pierce the skin of Jesus?I believe it's to show us how much God Loves us. That he would go to unfathomable lengths even seek us out to the point of the worse death ever.

This is hard to fathom especially when I'm told to Love. I'll be completely honest I don't always want to love. I'm pretty sure I'm selfish 90% of the day. I am constantly looking for ways to put my self ahead. The times you see me love I can assure you it is not me but Christ who is in me. And for His Amazing Grace I am so thankful. I couldn't do it on my own. As I get older I hope that less of me exists and more of Christ is revealed but sometimes it seems like a long journey that I would need all of eternity to accomplish. A song that has been challenging me since 7th grade is Jars of Clay's World's Apart, a song asking God to take our world apart, this one line gets me everytime,

"and serve the ones that I despise
speak the words I can't deny
watch the world I used to love
fall to dust and thrown away"

For me to know what true love is I have to serve the ones I despise. Am I capable of that I even struggle serving those people who I enjoy hanging out with. When we allow the Holy Spirit to move us this action becomes a reality. Love takes the form of action how we listen, how we sacrifice for people. So Love actually can be tangible. Hopefully when we demonstrate it people can feel and know it. I want to be made perfect in His Love no longer asking how much do people love me rather How much do I love those I despise.

"If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." -1 Jn 4:20-21

No comments: